Thursday 23 February 2012

Statement on our PAC president Eric Joyce MP

Eric has shown tremendous insight and interest in the internet and digital policy-making and I was therefore thrilled when Eric last summer agreed to be the president of our Policy Advisory Council.

I have come to know Eric well, having worked with him and Pictfor - the Parliamentary ICT Forum - over the last two years on a variety of legislative areas.

I was shocked to hear news of the alleged assault this morning. Eric has in the past invited me and other Open Digital PAC members to numerous events in the Commons, including drinks in the Strangers' Bar at the centre of last night's incident.

On our numerous meetings I've seen nothing but an honest, hard working and passionate MP who genuinely cares for the issues that interest me, Open Digital and internet users in general.

Importantly, Eric has taken great interest in opening up the workings of Parliament, giving a voice and insight to many interested parties.  He has hosted and attended many internet-themed events inside and outside Parliament, such as a Social Media Governance panel I sat on with Eric during Social Media Week.

Again, the news this morning came out of the blue and the allegations levelled against him are totally out of character for the man I know Eric to be.

It's clear Eric now faces a serious accusation. Above reiterating that Open Digital values Eric's input and commitment to digital policy issues there's little else I want to say or do until the police investigation concludes.

James Firth

CEO, Open Digital Policy Organisation

1 comment:

  1. I was at the meeting as well and when i first heard the news this morning it did not twig, that it was the guy from last week's meet at the Law and Governance track. WOW we'll see how the media responds in all its twitter and social media glory about this one!

    ReplyDelete